Safe Medication Disposal
The misuse of and addiction to opioids—including prescription pain relievers, heroin, and synthetic opioids such as fentanyl—is a serious national crisis that affects public health as well as social and economic welfare.
If you don’t properly dispose of the unused or expired prescription drugs in your home, they might find a new one.
Why is safe disposal of medications important?
Proper Disposal of unused drugs saves lives and
protects the environment.
- Unused prescription drugs thrown away can be retrieved and abused or illegally sold.
- Unused drugs that are flushed contaminate the water supply that we drink.
Unused or expired prescription medications are a public safety issue, leading to accidental poisoning, overdose, and abuse.
- Pharmaceutical drugs can be just as dangerous as street drugs when taken without a prescription or a doctor’s supervision.
- The non-medical use of prescription drugs ranks second only to marijuana as the most common form of drug abuse in America.
- The majority of teenagers abusing prescription drugs get them from family, friends – and the home medicine cabinet.
Where to dispose of medication
Preventing addiction before it begins is an important part of addressing the opioid crisis in our state. We can all play a role in keeping prescription medications out of the wrong hands.
You can bring your unneeded medication to the local drop box located in the lobby at Newtown Police Department (3 Main Street, Newtown, CT). It is accessible any time the department is open. You do not need to complete any forms or answer any questions about the items you have dropped off.
Items accepted include: over the counter medications, prescription medications, medication samples. Medications for household pets, medicated lotions or ointments.
Items that will not be accepted include: Needles or other sharps, hazardous waste, thermometers, personal care products (shampoo, etc.)
What if I cannot get to the Newtown Police Department to dispose of my medication?
The take back program at the NPD is the best way to dispose of old drugs. But if you cannot do so:
- Take the meds out of their bottles
- Mix them with something unappealing (like used kitty litter or coffee grounds)
- Seal them in a bag or disposable container; and throw that away.